Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh, to be 5 again....

I'm sure all of us have a fond memory of our kinder days.

One of mine is the time my class and I went to the zoo. We were in the African Animals section and stopped in front of those tall, yellow animals with orange dots and necks that touch the sky. One of them bent its head toward me and let me feed it. This is when I overcame my fear of giraffes and decided they weren't too scary afterall :)

Today the next door neighbor's 5 year old daugher came over to play with the Sarah's 5 year old son.

Usually these two get along great and have a grand time playing together (and, in all honesty, I love it when she comes over because it keeps both of them occupied so I can focus on cleaning up the messes belonging to the 1 year old... Okay, AND it's so I can take a 5 minute breather here and there).

Things were off to a great start... Until I heard the screaming.

I went into the parent's bedroom, where the PlayStation is set up, and saw them fighting over one of the characters in the Crash Bandicoot game. They both wanted to be the crocodile.

Well, the little girl threw the remote on the floor and stormed out of the house, yelling rude names to the boy as she left.

This left him in tears.

He ran into his room and buried his tear stained face in the pillows, and asked, "Macey, why are girls so stupid?"

I didn't know what to tell him, to be honest. Why? Because I still haven't figured that out myself :)

So I told him that little girls sometimes have days when they think they are a princess and everything has to go their way, and if it doesn't, then they get angry and push everyone away. He seemed to understand this because he said, "Does that mean boys are like kings and they get sick of the girl's attitude? Because sometimes I just get so sick of her. Seriously."

Yes, I told him. Exactly.

I told him that she would  get over it and realize she was mean, and apologize when she was ready. This made him a little happier, so he went back to playing his game.

Sure enough, she came back... And even brought him a fruitsnack.

No comments:

Post a Comment