Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sanity... Myth or Reality?

Here's a question for the day: Is there such a thing as sanity?

As I was babysitting my brothers yesterday I asked myself this question. They were driving me UP THE WALL, as usual (I love them dearly... But they are quite a handful) and I found myself coming up with ways to distract them so I could have a few moments of peace.

Okay, in all honesty, I was thinking up schemes to get rid of them. Sssh. :)

After they shot a million spit wads on the kitchen ceiling while I was using the restroom, I sent them to their room for a good 30 minutes. Ahhh. Finally, some peace and quiet. Right?

Not so much.

They were kicking the walls, bouncing on the bed, throwing toys, yelling at each other, and doing every other loud and obnoxious thing you could think of. Frustrated, I went upstairs, grabbed one of their ears each, and took them downstairs to the kitchen, where they sat on hard stools for 40 minutes.

You may be thinking, "Wow, that's pretty harsh... How can she be left in charge?"

To be honest, I was thinking that exact same thing. I felt horrible. But really, spit wads? Kicking and screaming? Throwing toys? That's so preschool!

And just a side note, I only do that to my brothers. I never have to seriously discipline kids I babysit and nanny. :)

Of course, when their 40 minutes were up, I apologized and made them a yummy lunch, then allowed them to play the wii. My apology was accepted.

When mom got home from work I broke down. "The boys were driving me absolutely INSANE!" I told her. She just nodded, offered her condolences, and went upstairs to change out of her work clothes. All this time I was thinking, "How does she do it???"

So, my answer to the question, is sanity a myth or reality? Well.... It depends on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment