Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blessing upon blessing upon blessing... Do I really deserve this?

So lately I have had a ton of incredible blessings poured upon me. Continually. Nonstop. Daily. No joke.

I have been writing all of them down in my Blessings Journal and pondering what I have been doing to receive such glorious blessings. Surely I am not worthy enough. I feel as if I need to be the General Relief Society president to be blessed like this.

These blessings come in odd packages, mostly. For instance, my mom just got a full time job after being a stay-at-home mom for 17 years. It was very difficult for our family. However, after working for about 2 months she has come home with many job opportunities for me that can happen anytime I would like them. We looked at her getting a job as a huge burden and trial for us. Little did I know that such marvelous things could come out of such ugly wrapping.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a blessing in every trial. Whether it's before, during, or after the trial depends on the situation.

Last night I had a near-death experience. I was driving down 13400 South to pick up my sister from a friend's house at about 5:30... Rush hour. As I was about to turn left into the intersection my car died. I tried starting it over and over but.. Nothing. It was completely dead. I hit the steering wheel with my fist and started crying. About 2 minutes after the car died a few young men pulled up behind me and asked if I needed help. I replied with a weary "yes" and they pushed the car out of the intersection. Conveniently, there was a Tunex car shop about 100 feet away. My dad and his fire crew came and helped push the car into that parking lot (there were only 2 young men and they were on their way to a Jazz game so all they had time for was getting me out of the intersection), and my dad went inside to talk to the men working in the shop. I was frustrated because I had a babysitting job I was supposed to be at in approximately 15 minutes that I knew for a fact I wasn't going to make it to. What upset me more is the fact that I need money for my own car, and this job was going to bring in some extra cash to add to my funds.

Look at this trial. See any immediate blessings?

You probably spotted the obvious three. One, I had help from those 2 random men. Two, there was a car shop right there. And three, my dad wasn't on a call so he was available to help me.

Look more closely. My car died as I was about to turn left into the intersection. Had the car died 2 seconds later than it did, I would have been making the turn and I would have gotten T-boned. Also, the young men that helped me just so happened to be late for their Jazz game, and they just so happened to be passing me at that exact moment, so they were able to help me. My car broke down right next to a car shop, so we didn't have to pay for a tow truck or anything. My dad and his crew were able to figure things out with the workers in the shop (which I would have been waaaay too shy to do. I would prefer just being left in the intersection than talk cars with a shop owner!) The family I was going to babysit for was also going to the Jazz game, and the mom had enough time to come pick me up from the shop I was stranded at (mom was at work). Another blessing for this experience that came just today was from my mom's work.. Again. A nice man she works with is a very good mechanic, and he knows where to find cheap but GOOD cars. He offered to look around and find a car for me by next week. I only need to pay $1,000. Conveniently, next week I was supposed to take a vacation to Mississippi to visit my aunt but I cancelled due to another nanny interview, so it works out great that the car broke down right before my vacation so my family doesn't have to drive me every morning. By the time I go back I should have a car. Everything has fallen so perfectly into place.. It's almost as if this trial was a puzzle was designed and put together by God Himself.

I have a very strong testimony about trials and blessings. I believe that if all of us would look a little closer at our trials we would get so much more knowledge/learning experiences from them if we try to pick out blessings.. No matter how small they are. Let's all take a few moments in our daily prayers to thank our ever merciful Heavenly Father for the small and simple blessings He grants daily. Those may be the things we needed most on a particular day.

And never forget.. He never hands out a trial He knows we can't handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment