Sunday, September 22, 2013

Families are Forever

Nic and I are very family oriented. We absolutely love our families and enjoy spending free time with them. Recently, I've been "interviewing" people in my family about their history. I asked my parents how they met, how my dad proposed, what their favorite high school memories are, etc. While I love hearing about them, I also love learning about my ancestors. I had no idea my mom's side of the family came from Denmark, and I definitely didn't know my grandma (her mom) grew up in D.C. going to inaugural balls. How cool is that? Luckily, I haven't lost very many family members. My mom's dad passed away from stomach cancer when she was eleven, and the two other deaths were two of her sisters about four years ago; one from cancer, the other in a car accident. I'm very blessed with having all my family members still alive and well. My husband's side of the family has had a few more deaths, including his grandma and grandpa Walters. I've enjoyed asking my father-in-law about his parents because I wish I could have met them. Nic and I have filled our home with things about our family. He has a few antique trinkets that came from his grandparent's house that we display around the apartment, and he even uses his grandpa's fishing pole every time we go fishing. A few months ago I wanted to make something to hang in our place representing our last name and wedding date. I told my sweet mother-in-law, Jodi, and she surprised me with some things to use for the craft....grandma Walters' vintage buttons. This is how the project turned out: 


The jar of buttons was HUGE, and there were at least 300 buttons in the collection. I chose all the yellow, black, gray, and white ones (our wedding colors) and even added a blue one for the "something blue." As we were sifting through the buttons, Jodi told me where some of them came from: grandpa Walters' military uniform, baby clothes belonging to their children, her wedding dress, her shoes, and other things she had throughout her life. I loved hearing all the stories, and having those buttons in our home is so special to me. Even though I never met her, I can feel her spirit in our home with those buttons on display. I am so grateful Nic and I were sealed in the temple so we can be together forever, as well as with our families forever. I don't know what I would do without them! I look forward to the day I can finally meet sweet grandma Walters and thank her for the buttons. 

1 comment: